From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

it was, at least in Europe, and frequently the result is horrible today: the
oxidation of zinc under a lacquer layer might appear worse than that of iron,
because it was more even, and adhesion might be so lacking that the lacquer
curled up in little scrolls  inch by 1/16 inch in diameter. Zinc feels
heavier and more limp than aluminum, at least to me.

Best wishes,

George