 From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:23 AM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Assistance needed tracking down old Detroit Times article

The Detroit Public library charges a good bit to do remote searching for an article. If anyone is Detroit-based and willing to take a trip to the libary, I would greatly appreciate a copy of the following article. I obtained the photo for it on eBay, so this information comes from the back of the photo.

The date on the photo is 3/19/58. The photographer was "Savage." The assignment was "for Frank Gill," who I assume was either the writer or editor. The topic was a Detroit Symphony recording session at "Old Orchestra Hall," which I think was also called the Paradise Theatre in those days, but I might be wrong on that.

So the article likely ran on 3/19/58 or in the days immediately afterward. The photo shows Paul Paray conducting a tightly-clustered ensemble.

Interestingly, if the photo really was taken on 3/19/58, it was a setup and rehearsal, not a recording session. The only Detroit sessions done in that timeframe were 3/21-24/58. However, the photo does indicate that the Mercury crew was there. No microphones are shown, but the intercom from the recording room to the truck and conductor podium is shown below Paray's podium. Not every date in the Mercury session book is 100% accurate, so it is possible that recording did take place on 3/19/58, but most likely this was a rehearsal and mics were set up and tested at the same time, in preparation for recording on the 21st.

So, anyone with in-person to the Detroit public library, which has an archive of Detroit Times issues, most appreciative if you can help me.

-- Tom Fine