From: Rebecca Hall [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 02:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] David Hall - ARSC Past President Obit

David was my grandfather.I regret that I was only just beginning to realize the things he hadaccomplished and cared about when his memory started to go. I wish I'd hadmore time to learn from him. (It's part of why I'm on this email list).Here he is reenacting the famous photograph of Lionel Mapleson:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30696492/grandpa-cylinder-2.jpgBecca-- Becca HallNorthwest Chicago Film Societywww.northwestchicagofilmsociety.orgOn Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Michael Biel  wrote:> David was an enthusiastic mentor to young collectors, discographers, and> archivists. When I first heard about ARSC in 1971, the current> president was the music librarian at my school, Northwestern. So I went> over and asked him about it, and noted that David's name was listed as> was Philip Miller. "If I went to this conference, might I be able to> meet them?" "Sure," he replied. And not only did I meet them, I was> having lunch with them the first day!>>> I wish Leah and I had had a chance to interview him on videotape when we> were doing her "For the Record" documentary, but beyond that I had so> many additional questions to ask on my research projects. When I> contacted him a year or two ago, his partner said that his memory had> mostly gone but he did recognize my name when she gave him my message.>>>> David Hall was a driving force in the creation of ARSC and what was the> premiere sound archive, R&H. I've already been missing him. Say Hi to> Phil for me.>> Mike Biel [log in to unmask]>> -------- Original Message --------> Subject: [ARSCLIST] David Hall - ARSC Past President Obit> From: Steve Ramm > Date: Mon, April 16, 2012 9:22 am> To: [log in to unmask]>> This sad news (details below) was received by ARSC Exec. Dir Peter> Shambarger yesterday and I wanted to share. Though David retired to> Maine years> ago - and I haven't seen him in many years - he was one of the> "legends" in> Recorded Sound History who I had to honor to meet and dine with at many> ARSC> Conferences and moments like that reminded me of why ARSC Conferences> are> so much fun. (You get to meet folks you've only READ about in person.)>> Steve Ramm>>> >Sound archivist, writer and record producer David Hall died in> Castine,> >Maine, April 10, 2012, aged 95.> >> >After graduating from Phillips Exeter Academy and Yale University in> >1939, Hall authored “The Record Book,” an annotated discography of>> >concert music repertoire on 78 rpm discs, which instructed record> >collectors on “how to lay a solid foundation for a record> library.”> >Published in 1940, it was followed by a series of supplements, and an> >international edition, the last published in 1955.> >> >Hall began a lifelong involvement with the record business as> >advertising copywriter with Columbia Records. In 1942, he became> script> >writer for the NBC Symphony, the all-star orchestra conducted by> Arturo> >Toscanini.> >> >In 1948, Hall joined fellow Yale graduate John Hammond on a quest to> >postwar Europe on behalf of Mercury Records, to acquire European> >classical recordings for American release. Their efforts helped> Mercury> >become a major force in the record industry.> >> >Between 1951 and 1956, with C. Robert Fine and Wilma Cozart, Hall> >co-produced Mercury’s Living Presence Series, notable recordings by> the> >Chicago, Minneapolis and Eastman Rochester symphony orchestras under> >such conductors as Rafael Kubelik, Antal Dorati, Paul Paray and Howard>> >Hanson. Mercury’s 1955 recording of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture> became> >the best-selling classical record of the decade.> >> >After a year in Denmark as a Fulbright Fellow, in 1957, Hall joined> >Stereo Review, to which he continued to contribute until 1999, when> the> >magazine ceased publication. In 1963, he became president of> Composers’> >Recordings Inc., a nonprofit label devoted to recording and> distributing> >the work of American contemporary composers.> >> > From 1967 to 1985, Hall served as curator of the Rodgers and> >Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound at Lincoln Center, which became> a> >major force in sound recording collection and service. Under his> >direction, the Archives produced The Mapleson Cylinders, an important> >collection of historic sound which captured the performances of early> >20th century Metropolitan Opera stars. It received a Grammy from the> >National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences in 1986.> >> >Hall was active in a variety of board and trusteeship activities: as> >president of the Association for Recorded Sound Collections and the> >Sibelius Society, as a director of the National Music Council, as> >classical music consultant to the National Academy of Recording Arts> and> >Sciences, as a member of the Music School sub-committee of the Yale> >University Council, and as trustee of the Wilton (CT) LIbrary> Association.> >> >In 1985, Hall moved to Maine with his wife of 50 years, Bernice> Dobkin,> >in 1985, where he served on the board of the Blue Hill Concert> >Association. Last fall, he donated an extraordinary collection of> 2,500> >classical CDs to the Blue Hill Library.> >> >He is survived by his domestic partner, Del Thomas of Castine; his> >children, Marion Hunt of St. Louis, Mo., Jonathan Hall of South> >Brooksville, Peter Dobkin Hall of New Haven, Conn., and Susannah Hall> of> >Bucksport; as well as nine grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.>>