...and some types that the software controls automatically, but incorrectly. Specifically, form subdivisions which are also valid as topical subdivisions often incorrectly "flip" from x to z when controlling the heading. This seems to occur even when there is an explicit 180 validation record for the subdivision.

I trust OCLC is at least aware of this problem. The choice of x vs. v in a subject string is often the result of exacting intellectual work. And, in many systems, subfields x and v map to completely different indexes (or if they don't, they should). In light of the increasing emphasis of late on genre/form in library cataloging, I would hope this will be rectified at some point.

Cheers,
Casey