At the University of Minnesota we have also discussed the alternative
proposals and we generally find ourselves in agreement with the
University of Washington's position, and in particular with the first
four points expressed in Joseph Kiegel's April 20 message.

We recognize that system capacity is a genuine concern for many
institutions. We have heard discussion elsewhere of a possible
compromise approach that we believe deserves serious consideration.
This is to make all of the changes originally proposed to the LC/NACO
authority file but to distribute only a subset of the changed records.
This may be one of the subsets proposed under scenarios 1-4, or
perhaps it may be possible to offer individual institutions a choice
among them. Records not reissued at this point could be reissued on a
future schedule, or upon being changed in some other way.

Institutions with a limited capacity to absorb changes would not be
disadvantaged by this approach as compared with any of the limited
redistribution scenarios, but the benefits of having a comprehensively
updated central authority file would be preserved.

Whatever solution is adopted, we think it will be valuable to make the
status of headings explicit. As a minimum, records with 1XX headings
not usable under RDA without review should be labelled with a 667
field, as proposed under scenario 2 (as well as in all of the more
ambitious scenarios). While it is true that users will not care if a
heading is RDA-compliant, we think that clearly flagging headings
needing review will greatly aid in training cataloguers and in giving
them the confidence to work efficiently in a mixed RDA and pre-RDA
environment. Because the LC/NACO authority file is available to be
consulted online, these changes would be of benefit to cataloguers
even if the records in question are not redistributed.

--
Chew Chiat Naun
University of Minnesota Libraries