From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Patricia A. Williams
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Undifferentiated personal names: call for community discussion

I agree with Mary Charles' recommendation, that PCC should put an immediate moratorium on the creation of new undifferentiated name headings, and also on the addition of new entities to existing undifferentiated names.   Instead, PCC should encourage catalogers to add RDA qualifiers to headings, if no other distinguishing information is available, even if the bibliographic record for which the name is being used is coded AACR2.  If the intention is to re-code all AACR2 authority headings as RDA eventually, what difference will it make in the long run that RDA auths are being created for AACR2 bibs?

I also like Gary's temporary solution, to use the titles in the 670 fields  to differentiate headings until the heading can be evaluated for RDA use.  I think this is a good practical solution and would be more helpful to us cataloging practitioners in the short run.  The recommendations in the discussion paper may be a good future way of handling authority data, but we need more immediate practical solutions.  I too would volunteer to help review undifferentiated names, since my institution is already applying RDA to almost all of our original cataloging.

Pat Williams
Head, Monographic Original Cataloging
University of Chicago Library