Hi Jacob - thanks for the suggestion. This is a preliminary and as yet unofficial response, though we should be able to finalize this fairly soon.  We will likely define

    http://id.loc.gov/datatypes#EDTF

as the datatype URI for EDTF, and possibly

   http://id.loc.gov/datatypes#EDTF-level0

as a subclass, representing level 0.  And we plan to write an XML schema for level 0, underlying the latter URI.  For the present there won't be an underlying formal defintion for the first URI, or for levels 1 and 2;  we will discuss this further next week.

--Ray