Kate and everybody, thanks for the responses. I was wondering if I should change it to the vernacular form. I saw another biographical article about him which refers to him as John Channing. Thanks for the AACR2 citation.

As for leaving the genitive on, I kind of agree with Gary that there’s no harm in having it even though I wouldn’t add it. I do plan to change Johannis to Johannes in the 400 for this name.

Thanks again,
Ted Gemberling

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James, Kate
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Latin question on personal name

Hi Ted,

You are correct about Johannes being the nominative form.  However, because this author was active after 1400 and his name is found in the vernacular form in reference sources, he should have been established as Channing, John with a 400 for the Latin form, not the other way around (see AACR2 22.3B2 for names in the vernacular and Greek or Latin forms).  Please change the 100 form to Channing, John with the dates you found, and make the Latin form as a 400.  The online version of the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography has an excellent article about Channing, including dates, under "Channing, John."  If you have further questions about this issue, please feel free to email me if you like.  Thanks!

Kate James
Library of Congress
Policy and Standards Division
101 Independence Ave.