Please feel free to share this announcement widely, and please excuse duplication, as it is being sent to many lists.

Parallel Records and the 936 field:

When the concept of parallel records for language of cataloging was introduced to broad usage within WorldCat in 2003, OCLC provided the option for libraries to record the OCLC control number of parallel records that they identified in field 936.  We had hoped to use this field to collocate records at some future date.  With the passage of time and the development of other tools for bringing records together, most notably GLIMIR, we now know that we will not be using the 936 field for this purpose.  Therefore, we are discontinuing use of the 936 field for recording OCLC numbers of parallel records at this time.  The Bibliographic Formats and Standards (BFAS) document has been changed to reflect this decision.

OCLC plans to delete any existing 936 fields that contain OCLC control numbers for parallel records from records in WorldCat beginning in July 2012.

For more information on Parallel records see Section 3.10 in BFAS:

http://www.oclc.org/us/en/bibformats/en/specialcataloging/default.shtm

Cynthia M. Whitacre

Manager, WorldCat Quality & Partner Content Dept.

OCLC

800-848-5878, ext. 6183