In my experience, most archives are strapped for cash and are looking
for oddball things. I feel much better about giving something to an
archive which may be able to use it (or its parts) than I do about
selling something on eBay for a few bucks and much more hassle. I sent
off about 750 pounds of stuff, mostly through this and the AMIA list,
mostly to LoC, free for shipping on the recipients FedEx ground account.

No, I wouldn't post a skateboard, but a nice classic 3 MP digicam is a
very useful tool for documenting preservation and archiving procedures
which are on-topic. I'm spoiled in that I have a Nikon D100 6 MP DSLR
with a micro-Nikkor 60 mm f/2.8 lens on it for this purpose, but a
friend finds that her Kodak DX4330 which is the same class camera as the
one Tom gave away is quite useful--so useful in fact, that we bought her
a second one on eBay when the one I gave her broke and the 7-8 MP
compact Nikon Coolpix she bought to have something smaller had far worse
low-light performance even though being 4-5 years newer.

I am fairly sure that Tom made someone happy today. Maybe even that
person might use the camera to try and explain an archiving issue (as I
have). I see the camera as an important tool in archiving work and,
indeed, one of the D100s lives in the studio. (As an aside, my main
picture-taking camera is a D200 with other lenses--it's getting long in
the tooth, but I've got two kids going to university starting this fall
for the first one).

Cheers,

Richard