From: Tom Fine
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] audio from pictures

Hi Michael:

What you say makes sense about the sound of "paper playing." Did you notice
it's a pretty steady
pattern, sounds to me like once a revolution. So my question is, does any
modern software "cancel
out" a regular/steady but complex background noise like that? If so, would
it improve audibility?

I wish Patrick's blog-site had linked to hi-rez WAV so we could all
experiment at home!

One of the first commercial uses I can envision for this is apply it to all
the super-rare but
beat-to-hell Paramount blues sides and see if better/clearer results can be
obtained than out in
print so far. It would also seem like Patrick's method works for cracked
records and cylinders
because he's basically "pasting together" the groove in a straight line, so
it should be
time-consuming but possible to line up both sides of a crack and just
pencil-over or otherwise
smooth out the crack itself.

-- Tom Fine