I think that Doug's approach, using multi-channel A-D conversion is
preferable to sequential passes. An item not discussed (as far as I've
seen) in this thread is the sample-clock-to-audio phase lock. If you
look at sampling theory, there can be a very large difference in
individual numbers while still maintaining the same information. I ran
into this doing a second pass on a tape and while zoomed out the
waveforms looked the same (I was looking to cut into and out of a
damaged section I had been able to get a better transfer of), once I
zoomed in to the sample level, the individual samples were very
difficult to match and it was hard to line up sample-accurate cut
points. The way to do it is to look for relative energy under the curve
as you are aligning.

All this suggests that a method of starting and maintaining the timing
accuracy among the multiple copies AND the A-D sample clock (to the
tolerance discussed below) seems to be a good idea.

The auto image alignment that is being done can be more or less
successful, depending on the raw input. I'm impressed my hand-held cell
phone camera can do as good HDR images as it does, but they are by no
means as good as a tripod-based PhotoShop version.

I'm certain that software will progress to do this. Michael Gerzon
alluded to some possibilities of track-splitting on tape to help improve
capture in his 1976 article posted here:
http://cec.sonus.ca/education/archive/10_x/gerzon_archive.html

As we discuss the new economy, I wonder how this work will be funded.

Cheers,

Richard

On 2012-06-22 10:30 AM, Doug Pomeroy wrote:

>>> Date:    Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:44:42 +0100
>>> From:    Ted Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
>>> Subject: Re: audio from pictures
>>>
>>> <<SNIP>>
>>>
>>> Chris Hicks of Cedar did his doctorate on just this question of
>>> multiple
>>> copies. When the algorithm could be persuaded to work, the results were
>>> much as you would expect - enhancement of the correlated wanted signal
>>> and reduction of the random noise. Unfortunately, pulling the
>>> recordings
>>> into good enough sync for artifacts to be negligible was a frustrating
>>> and difficult business, even with recordings made one after the other
>>> (by me, as it happens) on the same kit on the same settings on the same
>>> afternoon, with meticulous centring.
<snip>