Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=111). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV 16.0 - ARSCLIST Archives

Hi Don:

This makes sense. I re-listened to the Beecham example on headphones and I agree there is some
stereophony to it, and the perspective you suggest matches the sound quality I hear. My bet is, two
relatively close-spaced mics, probably not omnidirectional in the modern sense, so you are getting a
somewhat "binaural" effect but not what we think of as modern stereophony of a symphony orchestra.

It actually sounds quite good on headphones because the groove noise on the sides is easier to
ignore. There are depth and height cues around the orchestra, which is a mark of stereophony. To my
ears, the Bell Labs experiments produced symphonic stereophony more in the modern sense, but
Blumlein definitely achieved something akin to what was called "binaural" in the early days of
2-track duped tapes.

I wonder, did Blumlein monitor with "earphones" and did the Bell Labs guys have two monitor
speakers? I've seen photos of the Bell Labs guys with "earphones" but I'm wondering if they also had
speakers as their final reference?

By the way, speaking of monitoring symphonic recordings, in all photos I've seen of Mercury, RCA,
Columbia and Capitol/EMI American recording sessions from the "golden era," monitoring was always
done with speakers, in a room isolated from the sounds of the recording venue. Mercury and I think
Everest monitored in 3-channel, right off the 3-track tape/film. Photos I've seen of RCA and
Columbia and Capitol show 2 speakers, so I assume their recording boards allowed for a 2-channel
monitor mix. I think Mercury was unique in using a truck as the "machine room" rather than just a
transport vehicle.

-- Tom Fine