Hi, Robert,

Please listen to:
http://www.richardhess.net/clients/UNB_Low_Level/

There is one file there. Please right-click and "save [whatever] as".

This is pretty much the extent that can be done with cleanup--others may
provide a better cleanup (and if they can, I'd love to know what tools
they use). I don't think it's where you want it. I used the following
tools in series
   -- Samplitude Pro X Suite FFT filter with hard bandlimiting to
telephone bandwidth (300 - 3000 Hz).
   -- Sum to Mono in Samplitude Pro X Suite
   -- Samplitude Pro X Restoration Suite noise reducer
   -- Algorithmix Noise Free Pro with custom equalization in the noise
reduction side chain

However, I am very curious about how this tape was reproduced. What was
the playback machine?

I would think if playback artifacts were less (if possible) then just
maybe it can be cleaned to intelligibility for transcription.

It is a huge frustration of mine that archivists are left with such poor
recordings of important people.

While I don't think this is the case, is there any chance the tape is
twisted and it's being reproduced through the back?

Good luck with this.

Cheers,

Richard