Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] victor record conservation
From: H D Goldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, June 12, 2012 11:36 pm
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Malcom,

You're correct. I was referring to "mould-release wax". Hey, I never
claimed I could type or smell, er, spell. Which maybe why it took me so
long to prepare an acceptable copy of my dissertation. That 'ol bag at
the library light boxed every page for margins & footnotes; no
corrections allowed. One misplaced dot from a Rapidiograph tip & you
start all over.

Cheers,

Duane

On Jun 12, 2012, at 9:31 PM, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:

> No, not wax released by mold, but a waxy substance that appears on the entire surface of many early vinyl (?) pressings. Mold grows on finger oils, and other organic substances, deposited by the unwary (or ungloved) and can destroy the info in the groove. The goop I'm talking about is something else and I think Duane means "mould release wax" not "mold". Dr. Biel sez he's not heard of any such substance so, in my opinion, the jury is still out on what it actually is.
> Malcolm
>
> *******
>
> On 6/12/2012 8:26 AM, Tom Fine wrote:
>> Hi Malcolm:
>>
>> I think we took different meanings from Duane's posting. I took his term "mold release wax" to mean it's some sort of wax used in the record molding (manufacturing, pressing) process. Are you taking it to mean a wax that is released by mold growing on the record surface?
>>
>> I wish Duane would chime back in and clarify this.
>>
>> -- Tom Fine
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <[log in to unmask]>

H D Goldman Lagniappe Chemicals Ltd.
PO Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141 USA