The earliest tape I could find in the RCA vaults was from 1949.  Seth Winner once told me that he found a Toscanini concert recorded on tape by RCA in 1948, which is certainly possible (the musician's strike of 1948 meant there are almost no RCA commercial recordings from that year).  I found tapes for all the 1949 RCA Red Seal sessions I remastered (Heifetz, Horowitz, Kapell, Rubinstein, Monteux, Stokowski, Toscanini, etc.), except one.   I'm pretty certain that the Kapell/Dorati/DallasSO Prokofiev Piano Concerto No 3 session of January 7, 1949 was recorded only on wax and lacquer, not tape, but that could be due to the fact that it was recorded in Dallas, TX, or perhaps because it was done so early in 1949.  As an additional caveat, there are some 1949 and 1950 RCA classical recordings that today exist only on metal, but other recordings from those sessions exist on tape.

I never found any paperwork that discussed the switchover from wax to tape at RCA, nor whether some metals were dubs of tape or simultaneous recordings.  I do know that EMI started simultaneous recording with tape in October 1948, and that they eventually switched over to dubbing 78 metals from those sessions tapes.

Jon Samuels

________________________________
 From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 5:52 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Magnetic Tape/Recorders

I agree with Mike except to say that Capitol and Mercury started doing most recording onto tape in the 1948 timeframe. Capitol was one of the first customers for the Ampex 200 and later 300 model tape machines, at their studio in California (I don't think they had their own studio in NYC in those days). Mercury used three early adopters of tape recorders for much of their recording in the late 40's -- Radio Recorders in Hollywood, Universal Recording (Bill Putnam) in Chicago and Reeves Studios in NYC. Reeves was fully equipped to do both tape and disk recording in 1948, as detailed in a series of articles in one of the magazines of the day, reprinted by Fairchild (the main supplier of recording equipment to Reeves at that time).

That said, concurrent disk and tape recordings were often made, at least in the case of Mercury, based on session books I've seen. If a complete take yielded a master, then the disk was probably used for production because it was "direct cut" with a successful take. If editing was required, or re-recording (primative over-dubbing), then tape was more likely used for the convenience and fidelity. I don't think there were any hard and fast rules, everyone was learning and experimenting.

Hopefully Dennis Rooney and others will chime in about Columbia and RCA. I do think they were more conservative about switching over to tape.

Mike is correct that in reality, there was nothing new under the sun. Hollywood had perfected sound-on-sound, re-recording and mixing techniques and equipment in the early days of optical film recording with rooms of motor-locked optical dubbers.

By the way, ARSC member Scott Smith has written a superb series of articles of (IATSE) 695 Quarterly magazine. Googling on "When Sound Was Reel" (Scott's series title) yields the site right away. Here's the link to all the past issues:
http://695quarterly.com/previous-issues/
Scott's series started right with the first issue in Spring 2009, and continues in the current issue (link to that on the front page). Relavant to this thread, see Scott's article on the transition from optical to magnetic recording in Hollywood.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Biel" <[log in to unmask]>