Also,the spontineity,and energy often make classical live performances far superior to their studio counterparts.Warts and all.
�
Roger

________________________________
 From: Milan P Milovanovic <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, June 2, 2012 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Who needs vinyl?

Tom,

I've read this interesting discussion few times, and while I'm no expert in classical field, I could not agree with you when jazz broadcasts/club and concert dates are involved, for they often contain so exciting, thrilling, joyful music ever recorded "on wax", despite some technical flaws, imperfections, bad ensemble work at some given spots, intonation problems and so on.

The same occurs with alternate takes in studio environment. One can think of many cases from 78 rpm when record companies recorded two or three complete takes with no audible "mistakes" or "fluff" (whatever the reason was to cut them - I put this question about a week or so, unfortunately no discussion followed it) but overall results were so much different in terms of quality of given solos, musical thinking, instantaneous reflex reactions to what is unrolling during studio time and so on. Then again, I can think of "Oh Memory" take Louis Armstrong did on "Stardust", while for broadcasts there are some Benny Goodman live 1943. recordings of FH arrangements that probably, IMHO, are above any studio date he did.

Best wishes,

Milan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]>