One thing I've always wondered, and I'm sure Tom Fine has the answer, is about the Mercury CD reissues from the early '90s.  In the booklets, it says that during the mastering of the CDs, the final CD was meticulously compared with the original tape to insure they were identical.  But when the SACDs of some Mercury recordings came out about 8 years ago, there was a huge sonic improvement over the previous CD issues, (particularly the Liszt Rhapsodies, the Chabrier selections, the Nutcracker and the Suppé overtures and others which I can't bring to mind right now).  Why would they not have heard these differences when they issued the CDs?

Dave b