 From: Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] WWII "Your Man In Service" Record

From: Corey Bailey
> The two clues that you give are the time frame and the off-center hole.
> Your disc is most likely 78RPM and was possibly made with one of the
> commercial disc making booths available at Woolworth and many other
> retailers of the time. It was popular during WWII for people to use
> these booths to record voice messages to send to loved ones overseas.

No, there were set-ups at U.S.O.s expressly for the servicemen.� You
would not go to a booth in Woolworth's that anybody could use and get a
record specifically labelled as from "Your Man In Service".� The regular
booths were usually labeled Record-O-Graph.� There were several
different USO discs that will be found.� My favorite is one with
pictures of scenes at USOs visible thru the clear coating.� A few of
them were steel base, but every Pepsi disc I've seen were fibreboard
based and of relatively poor quality compared to the other blanks
available.� Do not clean them with liquid.

> I was told that Elvis Prestley actually used one of these booths in
> Memphis to record a voice demo.

He went to the Memphis Recording Service's studio.

> Not sure about the Pepsi logo but if
> it's a commercially made recording you will be much better off.

Being better off with a commercially made recording does not enter into
this -- THIS is the disc he has, the ONE that he has to work with.
Pepsi was one of several companies which donated to the U.S.O. to
support the recording services for the soldiers.�

Mike Biel� [log in to unmask]�

Anyway, these discs are VERY FRAGILE, most likely have a cardboard
center. Very few have survived the raviges of time and many of those
that have, are marginally playable due to surface cracks (crazing) ans
such.

Start by playing your disc at 78RPM using an appropriate styli with
minimal tracking force and see what you get. Record everything you do!
You may only have one chance at playback and if it's off-speed, it can
be corrected. Use standard RCA Victor 78RPM EQ to start with. If it's a
little off, it can be corrected in the digital domain as well. I don't
intend to sound flip here but you probably have a voice recording and,
as such, have lot's of lattitude with regards to pitch and EQ settings.

From: Lou Houck <[log in to unmask]>