As the result of decades of digging through recordings of horn players
in pop and jazz context and associated discography, I have become
reasonably familiar with the names of Vince DeRosa, John (Jack) Cave
and John Graas. Recently, as I was trying to pin down the exact
personnel of the horn sections of some Pete Rugolo recordings, I found
that these three played together on sessions in LA on October 31 and
November 21, 1956 that ended up being released primarily as "Brass in
Hi-Fi" (Mercury MG 20261). So far, no problem. What gets me confused,
is that, on July 9, 10 & 11 of the same year, there were Rugolo
sessions, that were released mostly on the "Music for Hi-Fi Bugs" LP
(EmArcy [Mercury] MG 36082). On the jacket of this album, the
personnel list includes DeRosa and Cave and this is backed up by “The
Mercury Labels - A Discography” by Ruppli and Novitsky, Greenwood
Press, 1993, but the Tom Lord Jazz Discography lists a third horn
player, Vince Cave, as being at the three July sessions and one on
October 29 of that year that all produced takes that ended up on
"Hi-Fi Bugs". I am pretty sure that it was just a typographical slip
up on the part of Lord, that produced this name, since it seems to be
an accidental combination of the other two horn players' names. I am
also considering the possibility, based on the "Brass in Hi-Fi" album,
that John Graas also participated in these sessions, but that he was
not listed, perhaps for contractual reasons. I freely admit that this
is complete speculation and only based on the leadership of Rugolo and
the timing of the sessions, which would certainly make Graas'
participation possible and the theoretical presence of one "Vince
Cave". Thanks to previous conversations with Mike Gray, I am aware
that my next step should be to try to track down the records filed at
Local 42, AFM to see who was actually at the sessions, but I thought
I'd toss this out here and see if it generated any light before I
contacted the LA union.

Apologies to all the horn-playing ARSC members for this cross-posting.

Many thanks,

Peter Hirsch