Tom, Richard, David,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses.

David, I agree, we do need to deal with our room acoustics but must
confess we can't right now---complicated to explain---but we do recognize
we're "backing" into this to some extent.

Tom, Yes, it's primarily a university archives/music library transfer
program. We want to do as well as we can in undertaking routine transfers
but will continue to send out high-end work for expert attention.

And yes, we currently do use headphones, AKG-K701s.

Richard and Tom, I agree too about the 824s. In fact we'd discussed this
very same point today that, for the money, we'd probably do better with
the 824s.  They're so honkin' big and heavy though---just my
opinion---we'd have to figure out how to place 'em. Even so though, we
suspected what you've confirmed---they're maybe the best choice.

One question: the Genelecs are supposed to be shielded and the Mackies
don't seem to be.  We weren't sure---could this be a significant factor or
is it just something that sounds good but in fact not worth all that much
more in practical terms?

Again, thanks for your responses.  I love how this list's always an
education.

-Tyra Grant