OK thanks,I also have a couple of 12" records of this label and period.One may be a Mravinsky.

Roger

________________________________
 From: "Don Tait  ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2012 12:54 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] an interesting mini-trend -- vinyl microgroov...

The conductor's name was Yuri Fedorovich Faier (or Fayer).  1890-1971. To
judge from the discographic evidence I've seen he was primarily a  conductor
of ballet.

  Don Tait
Yes.I have three of these 78s.They have a (license?) number of 5289-56.I am guessing 1954 would be the year.All are on a label,with a stylized "BZ",or the Cyrillic equivalent as the logo.All are by the Orchestra of The Bolshoi Theater.The first one is with Alexander Melik-Pashayev,the other two are by a conductor,whose name I can't readily translate,whose last name is F---r(?).

They are
146-147 Polovetsian Maiden's Dance from "Prince Igor"/In The Steppes of Central Asia
999-1000 Swan Lake Excerpts Act 3
1005-1006 Swan Lake Excerpts Act 1

I have three 10" Lps on the same label,all by the Bolshoi,and one with Nikolai Golovanov doing an "1812",but my favorite is a 10" Latvian pressing,on  the Rigas Skanuplasu Fabrika Ilgi Spelejosa label,of the,1954 I think,Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1 by Richter,with the same 5289-56 number.The label is yellow and blue,with sailboats on it.

Roger