I don't know how many of these I've either seen
or built at radio stations.  It was always fun to
see a DJ frustrated, because of what he perceived
as turntable problems kick the base and bruise
his foot.  All of them were covered in carpet.
The double ones were poured in place in a "U"
shape with a small "I" beam across the top of the
front.  The top was just stained 3/4" plywood.
Those always worked great, frequently for EMTs,
at least until Technics took over the market.

At some stations, wooden base cabinets with a few
bags of playground sand in the base were the
answer.

At home, I'm just using a homemade equipment
stand.  Shelves are two 3/4" layers of MDF glued
together.  Some folks put, something else, such
as a layer of rubber between the layers of MDF.
The legs are 5/8" threaded rod with washers and
nuts holding the shelves.  Once again, some folks
put rubber under the washers to de-couple the
legs from the shelves.  Some also sharpen one end
of the legs into "spikes" to couple better to the
floor.

My stand is 6' tall with no rubber de-coupling
and works fine sitting on my concrete floors.
The mass of the shelves seems to do the trick.  I
spray painted the whole thing for WAF.  I've
moved shelves several times for different
equipment.  And it will easily move to our new
digs in Virginia later this year.

If it were me  having to shell out for the top as
well, I'd go buy some MDF.  You do need a special
saw blade for it, but four layers glued up with
trim glued to it is going to cost you less than
10% of VPI's product.

FWIW!

Bob Cham