04.06.2012 04:21, Simon Spero:

> Eric Miller <http://zepheira.com/about/people/eric-miller/> "[...] is
> co-founder and president of Zepheira [...] Previously, Eric was a [...]
> Research Scientist at OCLC in Dublin, Ohio".   I believe that 8 years at
> OCLC is a sufficient period of time to allow one to gain some
> familiarity with libraries.

The LC press release does indeed say:
A major goal of BFTI is to replace the MARC 21 exchange format with a
new Linked Data model ...

I just wonder if this is even conceptually possible. More precisely:
Can a MARC record be replaced by a set of Linked Data triples? How could
the data exchange then actually work? Exchange, up until now, is based
on records. So what would replace them - or is the new idea and the
intention now to make the very concept of the bibliographic record
obsolete? What does that mean for ILSs that used to receive MARC
records? What will it mean for the processes of cataloging and the
catalogers' user interface?
OK, there may be features of MARC that need not be dealt with since
they are obsolete or useless in other ways. Yet, would leaving these out
make triplification any easier?

But the LC statement, I think, may also be read as calling for an
addition or enhancement for MARC, not its wholesale replacement.
For the press release statement goes on to say

... while retaining as much as possible the robust and beneficial
aspects of the historical format.
See
   http://www.loc.gov/marc/transition/news/modeling-052212.html

And this will indeed - if I'm not entirely misinformed - not be
possible with the Linked Data concept and triplestores alone.

What one might envision is something like this:

1. In regular MARC records, add something like the subfield $0 or $w
    to those fields that need to be linked to authority records or
    other bib records, each containing a URI  XYZ.

2. Set up a central triplestore for the authority data allowing to be
    queried for XYZ to yield the information necessary to enhance the
    MARC record at that particular point, say, with information about
    the person or subject heading.

3. OPACs may then use that remote triplestore to enhance their
    record displays without the need to restructure their MARC records
    into an entirely new way, except adding those URIs or constructing
    them from existing data on demand.

B.Eversberg