Deborah Fritz of The MARC of Quality, Inc., will be the featured speaker at the US National Libraries RDA Update Forum will take place on Saturday, June 23, from 10:30 am to noon in the Elite Ballrooms of the Anaheim Marriott. This is directly following the ALCTS RDA Update Forum at the Anaheim Convention Center from 8:00 to 10:00 am. Deborah sends this background for her presentation:

RIMMF: RDA in Action, or, RDA Metadata Minus MARC Thinking

It is our understanding that:
  * RDA data should be entered or pulled into a (deceptively) simple form (with lots of help provided by the software interface to make it simple)
  * RDA data should be exported in whatever format suits whoever wants to use that data: RDF, XML, MARC, etc.

'Real' software of this sort is not yet available, but, in the meantime, we have designed a prototype, using the RDA element sets and relationships. We call this prototype RIMMF (RDA in Many Metadata Formats), and we have released it for free,
unlimited, non-commercial use.

RIMMF is designed to be:
    * a visualization tool for catalogers and system designers, to help them to get used to thinking RDA, instead of thinking AACR/MARC
    * a cataloging training tool, to help educators teach RDA thinking

RIMMF is not a cataloging tool, because, although you can make and save data, it does not allow you to save records that you can actually use in an ILS. It does, however, let you apply RDA thinking to metadata creation. Using RIMMF, you can practice copying, cloning, and creating WEMI and PFC 'records' (not MARC records)  and setting up templates to speed up data input; and you might just perhaps get an idea of how much the RDA/FRBR way of thinking will change the way we do cataloging, hopefully for the better.