Hello all,

I'm looking for an appropriate way to encode a bib system number in EAD and found this thread.  I think the multiple <unitid> approach that Michele describes is the best approach--one for the collection number and one for the bib system number--but there is one catch.  As far as I can tell, Archivists' Toolkit only supports the use of one <unitid> element at the collection level.  If you try to import an EAD file with more than one collection level <unitid> element, AT just imports the one without any attributes.

I suppose I could insert the <unitid encodinganalog="001" type="bibsysno"> after exporting EAD from AT, but I'd prefer to find a solution where I could manage both the collection number and bib system number in AT and export them both in EAD without having to post-process the EAD file.

And so I consult the collective wisdom of the EAD list... Any AT users have suggestions?

Thanks!

Noah

Noah Huffman

Archivist for Metadata and Encoding

David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library

Duke University

919-660-5982

http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/

Visit our blog "The Devil's Tale": http://blogs.library.duke.edu/rubenstein/