We use the BIBID as the <unitid> for the collection (i.e., at the archdesc level).  We didn’t have a particular reason to do so at the beginning, other than we just thought it might come in handy someday.  As it turns out, it has,  for exactly the function you describe -- a few months ago we embarked on barcoding our containers and are storing the box/barcode relationship as item records in our ILS.

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Noah Huffman
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: System Control Number in EAD

Thanks Mark.  I had thought about some kind of "wrap in tag" type strategy in AT.  Your solution seems to survive the import/export round-trip nicely.

I'd be curious if other AT users have different strategies.

Are you currently using the local bib numbers in EAD for any sort of linking?  We're in the midst of an Aeon implementation and plan to use these local bib system numbers in EAD as a way to access the holdings/item/barcode information that we manage separately in our ILS (Aleph).

Thanks again,

-Noah