Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free
Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures,
entitled "The Baltimore Riots of 1812" on Tuesday, June 19th from 1:00 -
1:45 pm in the Department of the Interior Library.

Almost three decades after the United States had secured its independence,
the nation found itself again at war with Great Britain. In the years
following the Revolutionary War the country continued to experience insults
both on the high seas and along the frontier, which finally compelled the
U.S. Congress on June 18, 1812, to declare war against Britain. The
following day President Madison issued a proclamation informing the people
that a state of war existed between Great Britain and the United States of
America. "Mr. Madison's War" would prove to be unpopular and threatened to
tear the infant Republic apart. This would become apparent with the riots
which ensued in Baltimore 200 years ago, during the summer of 1812.

Please join Park Ranger Eric Pominville for a look at the Baltimore Riots
of 1812. Learn how the feelings of a divided country, with many very
suspicious of the motives of the Madison administration and others
fostering great anti-British sentiment, led to clashes in the streets of
this booming American port city.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the
Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in
Washington.  Space is limited so please contact the Library by phone at
(202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] to let us know you will be
coming.    For more information about future DOI Library Park Ranger
Speaker Series programs, we encourage you to visit our new Park Ranger
Speaker Series website at http://www.doi.gov/library/programs/speaker.cfm.

We hope to see you on June 19th!

George Franchois
Director