Have you considered using xquery for your global/batch changes? You can run xquery on a filesystem or via an xml database. At UVM we use the eXist database which has excellent xquery support, and we are able to do batch changes across all our data, including inserting new elements, deleting elements or simply changing the value of an element or attribute. Some xml editors also let you do a find and replace across all files in a selected directory.

Unfortunately I don't know of any GUI solution. Let me know if you would like any more information or xquery examples.

-Winona