   Dear Gary,

   Since the non-Latin 400 fields were taken from bibliographic
records in WorldCat, would it be possible to do a reversed matching
project? For example, run the non-Latin names against 880 fields that
are linked to 100/600/700 in bibliographic records, then construct the
citations for the new NARs from the matching records—245 $a/$c and 260
$c (or Date 1 from 008). The 100 fields in the new authority records
can be taken from the original NARs. Records created via this method
should be marked, so that manual review can be done if necessary.

   You are correct in saying that 670 fields were not converted when
the romanization was switched from Wade-Giles to Pinyin for Chinese
names. As a result, the authorized headings often do not match the
forms found in 670 fields. It might be advisable to take this
opportunity to convert 670 fields to pinyin, if possible. (However,
the mixture of Wade-Giles and Pinyin data in 670 fields right now
might make it difficult, if not impossible, to do so.)

   Thank you very much.

   Sarah

   Sarah S. Elman
Head of Technical Services