Dear Gary,

Since the non-Latin 400 fields were taken from bibliographic records in WorldCat, would it be possible to do a reversed matching project? For example, run the non-Latin names against 880 fields that are linked to 100/600/700 in bibliographic records, then construct the citations for the new NARs from the matching records—245 $a/$c and 260 $c (or Date 1 from 008). The 100 fields in the new authority records can be taken from the original NARs. Records created via this method should be marked, so that manual review can be done if necessary.

You are correct in saying that 670 fields were not converted when the romanization was switched from Wade-Giles to Pinyin for Chinese names. As a result, the authorized headings often do not match the forms found in 670 fields. It might be advisable to take this opportunity to convert 670 fields to pinyin, if possible. (However, the mixture of Wade-Giles and Pinyin data in 670 fields right now might make it difficult, if not impossible, to do so.)

Thank you very much.

Sarah

Sarah S. Elman
Head of Technical Services