On Sat, 28 Jul 2012, Robert Maxwell wrote:

>  it is entirely logical that the base definition of page be based on how
> the numbers are presented.

  Only problem is that readers have never thought of the definition that
way, or at least one would be hard-pressed to find a patron survey that
indicates otherwise. Try asking readers:

  What does the word "page" mean?
    (a) something with a number on it, or
    (b) something with text or illustrations on it.

  What does the word leaf mean?
    (a) something with a number on only one side of it, or
    (b) something printed on only one side, or
    (c) something grown on trees.

> I realize I left a misleading impression (so to speak :-) in my original
> message about how RDA would record the extent of the book with 48
> leaves, numbered on one side only but printed on both sides.

  Odd, I didn't see it that way. :)

> RDA would record the extent "48 leaves" ... [which] does not give a
> misleading impression of the extent of the resource

  No, it just leaves [sorry about that] out the shorthand information that
the leaves are printed on both sides. Remember the comments about patrons
not reading beyond a certain point in a brief display?

  Actually, since the example used here is incredibly rare, it's not worth
the effort for RDA to undue AACR2 over it.

  The point that "paginated" means "with numbered pages" in RDA instead of
"with leaves printed on both sides" is the confusculating factor. People
used to reading books think of the latter concept, no the former.

  If a book (sorry about continued references to obsolete entities) has 100
"leaves" printed on both sides with a few interrelated blank "sides" and
a few inter collated "sides" having only illustrations, how is it described
in a system that relies in numbering for definitions of the descriptive
terms in the simplest possible manner, and how would one best refer to
quotes extracted from the "text"?

Cheers!

jgm

  John G. Marr
  Cataloger
  CDS, UL
  Univ. of New Mexico
  Albuquerque, NM 87131

     **There are only 2 kinds of thinking: "out of the box" and "outside
the box."

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.