Hi Michael:

Personally, I think this is a case where post-coordination (i.e., Drugs--Side effects, Diabetes (and/or Diabetes--Prevention), and Hypoglycemic agents--I'm assuming that is the specific medicinal issue being discussed in the book) works well enough. Drugs--Side effects is indeed broad enough to cover this subject (though perhaps not as specifically as you might like--but it's not NOT what the book is about either, if that makes sense). There may well not be literary warrant for highlighting the interactions among types of drugs, types of diseases and types of side effects outside of a few titles. I suspect most works will address several of these topics at once, and so existing headings, and post coordination, would suffice.

My opinion,
Jennifer Sweda
Cataloging Librarian
UPenn