From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Borries
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 3:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Questions about possible proposal

I have in hand Medications and diabetes risk by Sam Dagogo-Jack.  I see no subject heading that brings out in a single string the idea of drugs that trigger or contribute to a specific disease.  The headings “Drugs—Side effects” and “Drugs—Interactions” show part of this, but are very general.  “Hypoglycemic agents” handles the other part, but somewhat out of context.  I would like to know if this was a conscious decision, or “just happened.”

If the latter, I am thinking of proposing the heading(s) “Drugs—Side effects—Glucose metabolism” and/or “Therapeutics – Complications – Glucose metabolism” with 450 fields with the final subdivision “Diabetes.”  I also wonder if a record such as “Drugs—Side effects—[specific side effect]” and “Therapeutics—Complications—[specific complication]”, with explanatory instructions, would not be useful.

Am I way off-track?  What do others think?

Michael

Michael S. Borries

Cataloger, City University of New York

151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor