Speaking of slide automation, I've got a couple of discs in my
collection that are curious - anyone else run into one of these or
have more information about how they were used.

They're 16" heavy laminated transcriptions pressed by Columbia's Sound
on Disc division for the 1934 Chicago Century of Progress World's
Fair.  One is for the "School Room" exhibit in the Central Station
Industry Exhibit; the other is for the "Operating Room,
Electro-Magnetic Spectrum and School Room" exhibit.

When you listen to them, they contain narration for the exhibit with
long silent pauses that sound as though things would happen in the
exhibit with lights or moving parts.

There aren't any control tones on the disc.  I assume that they were
played along with the exhibit as it was controlled by some kind of
automated time system separate from the disc.  I've got two copies of
one of the discs and saw someone have more copies up for bid on the
web a year or two ago - I'm assuming that they pressed several copies
as the exhibit would run multiple times each day for a long period and
the records would get worn out.

I've found pictures online of the exhibit building, but not for these
specific attractions at the Fair - if photos could be found and
photos, someone could do a recreation of it using 3d software to give
an impression of what it was like.

The Central Station was sponsored by a group of American electric
power companies.  The exhibits feature a school room of the future
that includes climate control, filmstrips and movies for the kiddies,
and infrared lamps to kill germs and give them a good tan when they're
stuck inside the classroom all day.

rand