On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Richard L. Hess
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The point I think I was originally trying to make was that properly
> archiving one of these shows is very difficult to retain full impact.

Any kind of audio-visual preservation is only giving the viewer and
listener and approximation of what the original experience of the
media was like.

With film, it's really impractical to set up a Cinerama system without
a great deal of basic funding and maintenance.  Even a chemical or
digital based restoration of an old film isn't going to have the same
look and feel of original nitrate or Technicolor elements.  It's can
be a compromise in some cases to save something and make it available
for later researchers versus not having it in a viewable form at all.

Doing a plan for a "proof of concept" for one of these multimedia
slide shows would make an interesting journal article or presentation
that might look at the relative costs, advantages and disadvantages of
doing it through a 4K or 6K master versus a computer controlled
version using multiple high-def projectors and some approaches with
the major audio-track formats used to control the systems.

rand