On 07/08/2012, Lou Judson wrote:

> I did a few of these back in the day, on extremely low budget events -
> one even using manual advance and a glass bell recorded for the slide
> change cues! The music was the best part on that one, and the editing
> of the narration...
>
> But I write because the description below sounds like exactly what
> PowerPoint does today - which makes me wonder if that would be a
> suitable medium for preservation of image and sound presentations? Is
> the resolution too low? Perhaps if there was a need for public viewing
> that would work, anyway.

I think there are several multimedia or VJ programs that could handle
the display better than Powerpoint.

The problem would be more in the digitizing and restoration of the
slides, which would take many hours or weeks.

To take a simple example: my current slide digitizing setup uses an
adaptor to connect a Nikon bellows to a Sony camera. This adaptor has a
little play in it, so the camera is often a degree or two off level. No
problem at all for single slides as it can be corrected in the Crop
function of Photoshop.

But for a sequence of slides that have to be in exact register, you would
really need some custom software to line them up exactly. (Similar
perhaps to the software that lines up the three negatives of Technicolor
movies.)

General fading is not a big problem. Photoshop can correct even badly
faded slides, provided the fading is even across the frame. But brown
patches cased by fungus (or bacteria?) have to be removed by hand, which
takes time.

Regards
--
Don Cox