Dear Tom,

I have heard similar hearsay but never followed it up. LIVING STEREO was a
prestige line. Pfeiffer mostly stayed out of it. We can discuss his
influence on another occasion.

Ciao,

DDR

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hi Dennis:
>
> The story I heard [WARNING - 2nd Hand, perhaps hearsay] was that someone
> in the family that controls BMG (Mann? family) is both a classical music
> and RCA Living Stereo fan, so he or they saw Living Stereo as a crown jewel
> in the RCA acquisition. Therefore, the horrid-sounding early CDs quickly
> came out of print under BMG and the 1990s Living Stereo reissue program
> took place, which was often an improvement over earlier reissues
> (definitely the ones supervised by John Pfeiffer were improvements, I think
> the program got dilluted as time went on). Then when SACDs came along, no
> expense was spared in producing the Living Stereo hybrid reissues. Again,
> heard second-hand, but I was told that there was no mathematical way for
> BMG to profit from that series from the number of hybrid discs they pressed
> at the very reasonable retail price point they set, so it was a loss-leader
> labor of love. Now what I don't know is whether they did additional press
> runs, which would have added to any profitability or perhaps attained
> profitability.
>
> When Sony put out the box set of the CD layers a few years ago, I figured
> that meant the SACDs were thus out of print and so I better snap up all
> that I wanted while there was still inventory out there. I succeed but
> everything was bought "new and used" from Amazon-affiliated sellers, many
> of them located outside the US. I don't like opera and that was a good
> thing because the opera titles were sold out and quite pricey in the "new
> and used" world.
>
> -- Tom Fine
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Rooney" <

>>> layer (not to mention the SACD layers) of the Soundmirror/BMG hybrid

--
Dennis D. Rooney
303 W. 66th Street, 9HE