Jan,

It is difficult to avoid tapes unless you stick with the older ones.
There are those that suffer from sticky shed syndrome, as you have
described. They can stick to the heads until there is no movement at
all. This is temporarily relieved by baking the tape at low temp and
making a transfer. The problem returns with time. This is the tape
equivalent issue of palmitic acid on lacquer records. You can clean the
records to make a transfer, but it is a temporary fix. The chemical
breakdown of the laminate returns.

Then, there are those tapes that need to be cooled down to refrigerator
temperature to play. I have had this problem with Sony Pr-150.

It makes it hard to enjoy your collection. Period.

joe salerno

--
Joe Salerno