From: Dennis Rooney
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 11:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Does anybody know when the various recording
companies realized that they needed an Artist and Repertoire administrator?

A&R wasn't always called such, but the job was around since the dawn of the
commercial phonograph industry. Usually, someone with musical training was
spotted and developed. Fred Gaisberg began as a teenager in Washington,
D.C. before he moved to London. Columbia had Charles Adams Prince when
Walter B. Rogers performed the same function at Victor. "Recording
Directors", they were called. They often had relationships with orchestras
and bands, which made them useful for engaging personnel. Later Victor
operatives included Calvin Child, Joseph Pasternack, Rosario Bourdon and
Charles O'Connell. Someone must have already treated the subject so there
will be more information soon to appear.

DDR

--
Dennis D. Rooney
303 W. 66th Street, 9HE