-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Donald Tait
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] OT: When you just have to get it done.

  A tape recorder in a refrigerator is pretty hard to equal. This wasn't
necessarily an invention, but it was still improvisation on a brilliant and
funny scale.

  I was an announcer and producer at WFMT in Chicago from 1972 to 2007. WFMT
won many awards for the exceptional quality of its broadcast sound. More
than a little of which was due to the fact that the engineering staff,
especially the chief engineer, Al Antlitz, built much of the equipment
themselves to higher standards than what was commercially available at the
time. But then....

  One afternoon during the 1970s several of us were standing outside the
main control room chatting. The adjacent window had a set of standard thin
metal venetian blinds. Without thinking about it I reached up and began to
fiddle with the blinds. Al Antlitz, who was in the group, said urgently
"DON'T TOUCH THAT!!!" It was out of character for him (he's very gentle). I
was startled. "Why?"

  Al said "because that's the aerial for the tuner we use to monitor the air
signal!" I looked and sure enough, there was a thin wire from nowhere taped
to one of the venetian blinds.

  When it came to equipment for our broadcasts, of course, it was a
completely different story; it had to be the best, and was.

  Don Tait