It should be noted that many phonograph manufacturers were in the furniture
manufacturing business and designed ands made the cabinets.  Talking Machine
World is full of advertisements for the mechanical parts of phonographs-
turntables, arms, reproducers, etc.  They were to be  fitted into
pre-existing cabinets and sold into a market where the appearance of the
cabinet and the possible captive market for a particular furniture brand
name determined sales.  Some went so far as to have records made to sell
with their phonographs, often by having custom products pressed from
Columbia's older masters.  This was done by many of the mail-order catalog
houses of the period.  Piano manufacturers had the plants to make such
cabinets, Starr Piano being one.  This is an instance only- I'm sure others
on this list will add other such examples.  I'm simply making the point that
there was a great deal of interactivity in the American household appliance
market of the day.

What is needed here is a look at the design of each A-V (nice abbreviation)
model a determine the source of its parts.  At some point, I assume they
either made their own or had them exclusively made for them by outside
businesses.

The limiting quality factor was the technological constraints placed on any
such machines by improvements to the mechanical process that were protected
by patents still in force and where the manufacturer neither owned nor had
obtained legal use of them.

Steve Smolian