-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 7:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] New-ish EMI set

Regarding the Barbirolli material that was recorded by Mercury and Pye, I am
pretty sure that EMI
used the Pye 2-track masters for their early-era CD reissues. I think those
digital masters were
later leased to the Barbirolli Society, which put out some of the same
material. According to the
Mercury tape logs I've seen, all of the Halle/Barbirolli 3-track and mono
masters were sent to EMI,
many of them in the early 60's and the rest by 1971. I am not clear exactly
what the Pye 2-track
master were.  I was told by one first-person participant that they were made
by Pye from the feeds
of the left and right mics, which would explain what I perceive as a
non-Mercury-like weak center in
the EMI CD reissues. Another first-person participant told me that Bob Auger
did his own on-location
3-2 mix and recorded to a 2-track master. A more logical explaination, based
on other Mercury
operating procedures, is that Pye would have gotten a 2-track made during
the first American LP
cutting, so it is a "first generation 3-2 mix" tape. However, as I said, the
EMI CD reissues do not
sound the same as the original Mercury LPs or mass-duped 2-track tapes.

-- Tom Fine