Thanks Don - now I got to hear that!

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Donald Tait
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] New-ish EMI set

Roger,

  Carl's original message about Stokowski concerned Vaughan Williams's 8th
Symphony. As he writes below, there is or was a live Stokowski performance
on BBC Legends CDs. Live Stokowski performances of VW's 4th and 9th
symphonies have also been published on Cala CDs.

  Stokowski's performance of VW 8 is remarkable, and unique in my
experience. Without in any way distorting or overdoing the music he makes
the slow movement a slower and, much more importantly for me, more
emotionally probing experience than in any other performance I've heard. I
think anyone interested in the symphony should know Stokowski's performance.

  Number 6 is indeed the only VW symphony Stokowski recorded commercially.

  Total agreement about Stokowski's live Mahler 2 on BBC Legends, too.

  Don Tait