Henry,

Outside of a course on digital audio theory (which, for the record, I
recommend for anyone doing professional audio work), I've always found
Dan Lavry's white paper to be a helpful explanation:

Sampling Theory For Digital Audio by Dan Lavry, Lavry Engineering, Inc.
http://lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lavry-sampling-theory.pdf

Jim