 From: Carl Pultz <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:23 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] New-ish EMI set

I was happy to find that the 'Sir John Barbirolli: The Great EMI Recordings'
box set contained a mix of transfers from across the digital era, the newer
ones excellent. A few tunes that had been the subject of earlier issues are
updated. One example is the famous Tallis Fantasia session, which Bernard
Herrmann had a hand in. The 2000 remastering in the box is dramatically
different than the 1980s reissue and just clobbers the Angel LP.
Unfortunately, the V-W 5 is not updated, but the glory shines through
anyway.

As someone here recently said, much of the EMI catalog has lagged somewhat
behind the state of the art. With such a huge catalog, that might be
understandable, even without all the corporate drama.