Hello,

After Germany abandoned MAB in favour of MARC 21 there is just one
European country left which uses a non-MARC cataloguing format, the
Netherlands. Both the Dutch and the Germans developed their national
formats in late 60s / early 70s; at least in the Netherlands the
solution was meant to be an intermediate one.

The Dutch national cataloguing format is not much of a problem for the
libraries which are using the Pica system, since the data is stored
internally in Picamarc, from which it is possible to produce both MARC
21 and the national format.

There has been quite a few national MARC-based cataloguing formats in
Europe. UKMARC started the trend, and after that there were countries
who used UKMARC as the basis for their national formats. FINMARC, which
is still in use in some libraries although MARC 21 has been the national
cataloguing format for years, is an example of this. Mid-70s, when
FINMARC was built, we compared USMARC and UKMARC, and chose the latter
for all the usual reasons (no punctuation embedded in data, for instance).

Some of these national formats are still alive and kicking, danMARC
being perhaps the prime example. There are also a few European countries
where UNIMARC is popular.

Regarding Will's question, an integrated library system that cannot
ingest or export data in some variant of MARC would not and should not
become popular anywhere in the world. It is probably impossible to make
an exhaustive list of systems which support MARC one way or another, or
estimate the number of libraries that utilize MARC-based systems.

Best regards,

Juha

--

  Juha Hakala
  Senior advisor, standardisation and IT

  The National Library of Finland
  P.O.Box 15 (Unioninkatu 36, room 503), FIN-00014 Helsinki University
  Email [log in to unmask], tel +358 50 382 7678