Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free
Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures,
entitled "The Joint Committee on the Conduct of the (Civil) War" on
Tuesday, August 21st from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in the Department of the Interior
Library.

The Joint Committee on the Conduct of the (Civil) War was formed in
response to the death of Senator Edward Baker (R-OR), who fell at the head
of troops under his command at Ball’s Bluff in October 1861. The members,
comprised of Congressmen from both political parties, focused on
Washington, DC area operations despite the fact that Union military forces
participated throughout 1861 in dozens of actions from Missouri and
Kentucky to the Florida and Carolina coasts.

The committee demanded to know why well equipped Union soldiers supported
by the might and vast resources of the United States government failed to
win battles such as Bull Run and Ball’s Bluff. The patriotic volunteer
soldiers were not to blame, the committee thought, therefore the
professional generals of the regular army were the ones that failed the
nation. In time, the committee questioned not the competency of the
generals but their loyalty.

Please join Park Ranger Michael Kelly as he takes a look at the Joint
Committee on the Conduct of the (Civil) War. Find out how what started as a
routine board of inquiry instead became an all-powerful force that proved a
bane to military leaders and a thorn in the side of President Lincoln for
the remainder of the war.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the
Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in
Washington.  Space is limited so please contact the Library by phone at
(202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] to let us know you will be
coming.    For more information about future DOI Library Park Ranger
Speaker Series programs, we encourage you to visit our new Park Ranger
Speaker Series website at http://www.doi.gov/library/programs/speaker.cfm.

We hope to see you on August 21st!

George Franchois
Director