From: "CHRISTOPHER WALKER" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:53:26 AM
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] undifferentiated corporate name authorities

I can't agree with my distinguished colleague (Hi, Kevin!).

I am having trouble imagining any scenario under which any patron
or information seeker will find it useful to encounter separate headings
that recognize a distinction between otherwise identical headings
that have the same corporate subordination.

We seem to be headed into an era when the master authority record
will be expected to evolve into an encyclopedia entry presenting
all sorts of information that is not essential for distinguishing
similar names (such as the gender associated with a personal name,
or geographical associations that change during a person's career).
When I was NACO-trained, the impulse to do that was beaten out of me,
but so be it.

In an RDA-inflected file, maintaining two separate headings
for South Dakota's Department of [Topic] seems unreasonable.
Notes could convey the date information.

Users have always been confused by authorized access points
that include dates. In my view, strenuous care
should be taken to find some other solution, any other solution,
to distinguish otherwise identical headings.
The idea that such headings might proliferate under the new code
is profoundly depressing.

Christopher H. Walker
Serials Cataloging Librarian
Penn State's representative to the CONSER Operations Committee
Chair, Ulrichs Serials Librarianship Award Jury, 2011/2012
126 Paterno Library
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802-1812
(814) 865-4212