Footfall susceptibility is the obvious vibration problem with many
turntables. Left mostly unsaid is the pernicious effect of low-level,
omnipresent vibration transmitted up from the earth. Most built-in
 isolation methods and suspensions fail to stop this and those that
somewhat do, then fail to account for the far more worrisome lateral
shaking... the stuff that fells buildings in earthquake zones.

It is my considered view that much of the difference heard among turntables
(apart from the clearcut stuff like rumble) can be accounted for by their
susceptibility to this unsuspected vibration environment. One class of
exception: The very, very expensive 'tables that do seem to address this
situation, but I can't say for certain. One thing I do know, though, is
that clamping a 'table down tightly to the earth only allows more
ground vibrations to proceed into the unit.

clark